Monday, September 7, 2009

Desperate Housewives: The Complete Fifth Season

More Twists and Surprises from Television’s Deliciously Decadent Series!
DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES:
THE COMPLETE FIFTH SEASON

Wisteria Lane’s most delicious season of deception and backstabbing to date comes to DVD on September 1, 2009 from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment with the arrival of Desperate Housewives: The Complete Fifth Season. The multi- disc set includes every Season Five episode of the long-running Emmy® and Golden Globe winning series, as well as exclusive bonus features that will shock and delight viewers with new revelations.

The ladies of Wisteria Lane have still more scandalous secrets to unveil in their fifth season, as Susan (Teri Hatcher), Lynette (Felicity Huffman), Bree (Marcia Cross), Gabrielle (Eva Longoria Parker), Katherine (Dana Delaney) and Edie (Nicollette Sheridan) give the residents of Fairview plenty to talk about. The show’s subversively funny take on suburban life reveals all the juicy secrets lurking behind closed doors in this seemingly perfect community.

The two-time winner of the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series, Desperate Housewives: The Complete Fifth Season stars Teri Hatcher (Coraline), Felicity Huffman (Transamerica), Marcia Cross (“Everwood”), Eva Longoria (Over Her Dead Body), Nicollette Sheridan (Code Name: The Cleaner), James Denton(“Threat Matrix”), Doug Savant (“24”), Ricardo Antonio Chavira (“Six Feet Under”), Dana Delany (“Kidnapped”), Neal McDonough (“Boomtown”) and Kyle MacLachlan (“In Justice”).

Bonus Features
• Teri & Cherry – A look at Wisteria Lane’s dynamic duo!
• Desperate Housewives: Evolution of a modern classic
• Cherry-Picked: Marc Cherry’s Favorite Moments from Season 5
• Deleted Scenes
• Bloopers
• Audio Commentaries

STREET DATE: September 1, 2009
Suggested retail price: $59.99 US; $79.99 Canada
Feature run time: 1032 min.
Rated: US ‘TV-14 DLSV’; Canada ‘14A’


Desperate Housewives is one of those series that I've been aware of since it's inception, but never really watched. Having never been a housewife, but having been desperate in the past, I wasn't sure I would completely relate to the characters. I jumped at the chance to review the Season Five "Red Hot Edition" and I'm so glad I did!

I had imagined this series would be a bit more campy and comedic than it turned out to be. There was really a lot of drama in it, and more action that I expected. There was a whole lot of "OH NO SHE DIDN'T!" going on too, which I like.

Since I haven't seen the entire series, I'm going to try to find old episodes online so I can attempt to catch up. This season jumped five years in the future, which leaves me wondering what happened in the meantime (and was probably the point now that I think about it).

As always, my favorite parts of DVD's are the bloopers. Here's a clip:



I also loved the "I Know Things Now" part of the extras, which gives you a look back at the last 100 episodes. For those of us (like me) who are unfamiliar, this helps give an overall background of the series.

Overall, I enjoyed this DVD and will watch the likely watch the series in the future.

1 comment:

BS said...

It's a great show but you will be totally lost in some episodes if you haven't been watching since the beginning. It's silly but a show that you can watch while winding down on a Sunday evening !