Thursday, December 24, 2009

Family Guy Presents: Something Something Something Dark Side

A long time ago, in a Cineplex not too far away, one of the greatest movies was unleashed upon the universe. It’s a dark time for the rebellion but the future has never been brighter for “Family Guy” and Star Wars fans when “Family Guy: Something, Something, Something, Dark Side”arrives exclusively on two-disc Blu-ray (BD) with Digital Copy and DVD December 22 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. The second DVD premiere feature from the creators of “Family Guy” after 2005’s enormously popular Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story, and a follow-up to the 2008 Star Wars spoof “Blue Harvest,” this time around the Griffin clan packs light saber sharp wit as they parody the classic sequel The Empire Strikes Back. Luke (Chris), Leia (Lois), Han Solo (Peter) and Chewbacca (Brian) have evaded the dreaded Imperial Starfleet led by the cunning, conniving and curiously short evil lord Darth Vader (Stewie), setting up a new secret base on the remote ice world of Hoth. With the rebellion in trouble, young Skywalker must take the advice of his late, and rather lascivious, mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Herbert) and learn the ways of the “farce” under Jedi Master Yoda (Carl) to save the galaxy once and for all. “Family Guy” proves that even in the far reaches of space, the dark side can be much lighter!

“Family Guy: Something, Something, Something, Dark Side” Synopsis
The story of The Empire Strikes Back is retold. Darth Vader (Stewie) is hunting the rebel Luke Skywalker (Chris) and his troops relentlessly across the galaxy. On the ice planet Hoth, Luke has a vision of his late mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Herbert), telling him to go to the Dagobah system to learn the ways of the Force under Jedi Master Yoda (Carl). Meanwhile Princess Leia (Lois) finds herself taking a shine to the scruffy pilot Han Solo (Peter) and, against all odds, the two soon fall in love. But an encounter with Han’s old friend Lando Calrissian (Mort) lands them in the clutches of the Empire. Envisioning this, Luke chooses to forgo his Jedi training to save his friends. It all comes to a head in a climactic confrontation with Darth Vader himself…

Two-Disc Blu-ray With Digital Copy Specs:
The “Family Guy: Something, Something, Something, Dark Side” BD is presented in full screen 4x3 aspect ratio featuring English 5.1 Dolby Surround, Line 21, English for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, English, Spanish, and French stereo and subtitles. Special features include:
• Digital Copy
• Audio Commentary
• Deleted Scenes
• Behind-The-Scenes Featurette – “The Dark Side of Poster Art”
• Animatics
• Pop-Up Video



I was seriously so geeked to get this that when I got home yesterday and it was on my doorstep I threw the door open, dropped everything in my hands, and RAN (literally RAN) to get my scissors go I could rip into this package.

Have I mentioned I'm a huge Family Guy fan? Because that's probably an important part of this story.

Also? I'm a huge Star Wars geek. Which just makes this obsession even worse.

Anyway, we own Blue Harvest and have watched it countless times, so when I heard about this DVD I couldn't wait to watch this hilarious parody.

And it was HILARIOUS. I laughed out loud so many times. I love how they take word for word scenes from the Star Wars movies and make them uniquely "Family Guy".

I won't tell you the entire movie (although soon I'll probably be able to do so line-by-line because that's just how I am), but here were some of my favorite parts:

1) They shot this huge gun that looked like a boob. A solider ran out, rubbed the bottom of it and giggled uncontrollably. TEARS FROM LAUGHTER. Seriously.
2) Peter is Han Solo and insists everyone calls him by his codename "Carlos Spicy Wiener".
3) James Woods is in the movie. I don't care who you are, that's funny. I do wish he would have had more lines though.
4) One of the Storm Troopers says to another Storm Trooper "Have we ever hit anything with these things?" The second Storm Trooper says, "I hit a bird once".
5) "Shut up Meg". (You have to watch the show to know why this is hilarious. But it's HILARIOUS)
6) THE INJURED KNEE SCENE. I held my sides I laughed so hard.

My only wish is that Yoda (Chris' boss Carl) would have spoken like Yoda does in Star Wars. He was a good Yoda, but that would have made it funnier. I also LOVED Mort Goldman as Lando. I don't know why that worked so well, it just did.

(And my one and only warning: There is some pretty strong language in this movie. Not excessive, but it's there. So if you have little ears around remember this is a cartoon for adults not little kids)

The extras were fairly good and my favorite extra was the "Pop-Up video" feature. I pretty obsessively watched Pop-Up Videos back in the day and this was a cute and clever way to give the fans extra facts about the video.

Seriously, I would give this five stars if I could. I LOVED this DVD.

And now? I'm going to go watch it again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aloha i am new to this, I came upon this board I have found It incredibly accessible and it's helped me out so much. I hope to give something back & assist others like it has helped me.

Thank You, Catch You Around.

Anonymous said...

Howdy im fresh on here, I stumbled upon this chat board I have found It absolutely accessible and it has helped me tons. I should be able to contribute and support others like it has helped me.

Cheers, See You Around

Anonymous said...

What's Happening i'm fresh to this. I stumbled upon this forum I have found It incredibly accommodating and it's helped me alot. I hope to contribute and guide other people like it has helped me.

Thanks, Catch You Around.

Anonymous said...

Hi i am new on here. I came upon this forum I have found It vastly helpful and its helped me a lot. I hope to give something back and assist other people like its helped me.

Cheers, See Ya Around

Anonymous said...

Hey i'm new here, I stumbled upon this chat board I have found It extremely accommodating and it has helped me a lot. I hope to contribute and aid others like its helped me.

Cheers, Catch You About.