Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Secret Life of the American Teenager: Volume 3

The teen drama that has everyone talking is better than ever in its inspiring third season. Rediscover all the excitement and emotion of The Secret Life of the American Teenager, the critically acclaimed original ABC Family series. It’s a whole new school year as Amy (Shailene Woodley) tries to juggle motherhood, school, work and family, and Grace (Megan Park) and Jack (Greg Finley) take their relationship to the next level. Don’t miss this “top-flight series,” raves the New York Post. Experience every episode of Season 3, complete with revealing bonus features, including a behind-the-scenes look at the cast and an exclusive sneak peek at Season 4 —available only on DVD!
Bonus Features
• Hat Chat – Cast members Shailene, Daren, Ken, Megan, Greg, Francia and India answer crazy questions they draw from a hat. Yes, a hat.
• Sneak Peek of Season 4
• Make It Or Break It – Pilot Episode



You know I love a good "viewer discretion advised" program, so this show seemed like it would be right up my alley. The secret focus is a teen girl named Amy, her unexpected pregnancy, and her family, their relationships and friends. Plus I heard that Molly Ringwald was in it (she's Amy's mom) and I adore her, so it was already a win even before watching it.





Isn't she adorable even now? I'm never tired of her.

I hadn't seen the series before now, so I feel like I should have already know a lot of things. Overall, I really enjoyed the shows. I sometimes felt like the character of Amy was unrealistic, but then I remembered that this is a teenager and a teenage character. Teenagers ARE often unrealistic and whiny about things. I snorted when she complained about being a teen mom and missing out on everything...that's just one of those sacrifices of motherhood, right? Of course most teenagers probably wouldn't get the ramifications. Also, this does seem like a very "small town" kind of show...everyone is everyone's business. I'm not sure teenagers would care that much about someone's dad's vasectomy. But it does make for addictive television.

I did let my children watch some of these episodes, as I do think it's important to point out to them at every available opportunity that getting pregnant at a young age is something you DO NOT WANT TO DO. If you have younger kiddos, you might want to take precautions when watching this- it's rated TV14 and they do talk about sex and sexual topics frequently. It's a show that could be used as a teaching tool for kids if you watch it with them and discuss it. I probably wouldn't just let them watch it alone, though.

If you'd like to get caught up on the series ABC family is airing a marathon on January 3rd and 4th. Check it out!

No comments: